Saturday, March 13, 2010

What's Fun About That?

As God led me to salvation, one big question I had was, "What's so fun about being a Christian? What do you guys do for fun?" Reggie and Jeff (the guys who witnessed to me) always had the same answer, "Bible study and prayer!" Needless to say, that answer was not convincing.

But today I say without hesitation that they were right. I'll rephrase it though so perhaps the meaning will have more impact. "Spending time with Jesus reading His Word and talking and listening to Him bring me great joy."

It is a joy incomparable. Often words cannot describe it. I try to tell people and just get tongue-tied with glee. Sometimes I think it is like the moments Paul spoke of in II Corinthians 12:2-5, "I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven. And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter. Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities."

I believe this is the glory we share with Jesus as He prayed for us in John 17:22-24, "And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world."

I pray you desire to spend time in heaven with Jesus to experience this joy. It is for His glory, not your experience. This is a truth for believers, not sinners. This is not the gospel. It is just a wonderful gift of God.

No comments: